Freestanding vs. Built-in Bathtubs
A bathtub is a great addition to your bathroom. Whether you are having your bathroom built or you are having a bathroom renovated, one of the things that you may be considering is whether to get a freestanding or built-in bathtub. These two choices have their pros and cons. To help you in making the best decision, check out the advantages and disadvantages of these two options that are listed below.
Built-in bathtubs, as the term suggests, are bathtubs that are permanently installed in the bathroom. They are customised to the size and shape that you like. Here are their pros and cons:
- Saves space. Since it is installed against the wall, you can save space in your bathroom, giving you more space.
- Cheaper. It’s also generally cheaper than a freestanding bath although it still depends on the materials that you use and the complexity of the design.
- Offers more storage options. You can ask to have storage for bath items like shampoo and soap to be built, which is not typical with freestanding bathtubs.
- Quicker to clean. Only one side of the bathtub is usually visible, so you only have to clean that and the inside of the bathtub.
- More convenient plumbing. Most bathrooms already have suitable water pipes installed for a built-in bathtub, so the plumbing required isn’t complicated.
- Limited design options. It doesn’t have as many options as freestanding bathtubs do.
- Takes more time to install. While the plumbing may be easy to install, the overall installation of the bathtub itself could take time.
- It’s fixed. Once it’s installed, it will be fixed in place.
- Many design options. Freestanding baths come with various design choices that will suit any taste.
- Quick to install. Although the plumbing requires some work, the installation itself is hassle-free since it only needs to be placed in your preferred location.
- Convenient to locate. It doesn’t have to be next to the wall, giving you more options when it comes to its location.
- Modern look. This is a quick way to upgrade the look of your bathroom, making it look contemporary.
- Few storage options. Most freestanding bathtubs do not come with storage options.
- More expensive. It generally costs more than a built-in bathtub.
- No shower feature. It does not come with a shower feature, although some come with a handheld shower spray.
These are some of the pros and cons of having a freestanding or built-in bathtub. Make sure to consider them when deciding on which option is the best for you. A built-in bathtub is cheaper and more convenient to clean, while a freestanding bathtub looks more attractive.